• 1 teaspoon vegetable or canola oil
• 100g bacon shortcuts, chopped
• 4 green onions, sliced, plus extra to serve
• 420g can creamed corn
• 2 cups chicken consomme (or chicken stock)
• 1 cup water
• 1 teaspoon finely grated ginger root
• ¼ teaspoon ground white pepper
• 1½ to 2 cups shredded cooked chicken, skin removed
• 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Heat oil in a large heavy based saucepan or flameproof casserole dish. Add bacon and green onions and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add creamed corn, consomme, water, ginger and pepper. Bring to the boil, then reduce heat to low. Add chicken and stir to heat through.
- Turn of heat. Add egg and whisk until slightly thickened. Serve garnished with extra shallots.